Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have decided to take up an occasional run. I went running last week, and I have decided to go running more often. I like running down the canal bank and to the cemetery, around the cemetery inner parameters and back down the other side of the canal bank to my apartment. I like this trail because I don’t have to run in any super public places where people can see me running from their cars. It makes me a little bit sad that I am moving, because it will be difficult to find a better running route than this – at least that is what I am thinking. Perhaps there is a gem of a trail out there waiting to be discovered near wherever it is that I end up living for the next six to sixteen months.

I like running in the cemetery because it is quiet, it has interesting things to look at, it has shrubbery and green things, and because there is not usually anyone there. So imagine my surprise this morning when I get to the gate of the cemetery and read the sign that is posted there: Las Cruces Shrine Club, Shrine Circus. Shrine Circus!?! A circus is the last place that I want to go running at! In my minds eye I imagine that a circus is loud, entertaining, and bustling with people. Now yes, to a person like me a cemetery can be very entertaining (Why does that guy’s headstone say “toast” on the back?), but I don’t imagine bustling and noisy at a cemetery. And what of the shrine? I saw one thing that I thought could qualify as a shrine, but it was no circus.

On another note, today is the first day of classes. I have no classes today. I am sitting in my office pretending to be busy because I don't want to start working on the data from the summer yet. This is the last time that I am buying any school supplies for myself. I think. It is a weird feeling. Even so, I think that I will continue to buy tablets and pens, because I love tablets. If I see a smaller cute one or something unique, I just can't help myself but want it. I bought too many tablets today simply because I was explaining to myself why I needed them all. I carry around too many things as it is. I really really want some notepads from Knock Knock, but I restrained myself from getting them. Kudos to me!

I am (hopefully) going to be moving to a new apartment this weekend. I find it hilarious that it is on Mormon Drive.

No comments: