Monday, May 12, 2008

Different place, different things

Why don't people in New Mexico know about dutch oven cooking? I've been trying to figure that one out. After I mentioned a favorite dutch oven dish of mine to someone and got absolutely no reaction, I started to wonder. It was confirmed after asking someone else - they don't know about it. I must say that they are all missing out. I may just have to make some dutch oven potatoes sometime.

I ate peas fresh from the garden today. One of my favorite things. A suprise of this place that I like - my garden. There is no way I would be able to have all the things I have growing so early in Logan or Grace. I feel somewhat bad for those up north who are not able to safely plant anything until after memorial day (but inside I am laughing delightfully).

My apartment smells like onions. I think that it will smell like onions for two years straight. I may just turn into an onion. After all, I do have many layers. Maybe the winds here will blow the smell away.

I miss the true seasons. I miss the cool air. I miss the mountains. I miss loved ones.

I enjoy the pines around my apartment and how in the morning it reminds me of waking up in the woods. I enjoy incredibly nice neighbors. I enjoy feeling more unique. I enjoy such a mix of people.

It is different here, that is a given; and even though it is prolonged - I am starting to recognize things that I like. I'm sure this will be a place I will not forget, a place that will be it's own unique gem. Yet, however cliche it is there is no place like home.

1 comment:

tawnya said...

Hey Rachael!

I followed you here from Amanda's. I agree, I wish you would write more. I'd love to read about it.

I hope you are settling better. For me, it's not all so strange and weird - it's home and I miss it; but I completely see how you would think it's crazy!

Eat some green chili for me. I miss it the most.